Sunday, August 28, 2011

How our Congressional Delegation spent their August break


Where did this rain come from? It’s very welcome, but is putting a kibosh on my chore list for today.
So, I will write instead. For some unwelcome reason I have politicians and politics on my mind this morning. Cory at the Madvilletimes comments on the lack of public appearances by the South Dakota delegation during the August recess, or lack of free public appearances, Kristi Noem had a $500/head appearance in Sioux Falls.
 Not that I pay much attention to the news these days, but I haven’t heard anything about Congressman King or about Senators Grassley and Harkin. The only one that surprises me is Sen. Grassley. I think the entirety of his senate career he has made a point to visit each of Iowa’s 99 counties at least once every year, often more times than that.  A quick check of his events page shows he’s not hiding from his constituents, just hasn’t been to our little corner of the world yet. To me, this is what EVERY Senator should do, and every Representative also, take time to talk to the people who gave you your job.  Senator Tom Harkin is also touring the state, but his map shows a mighty big hole in stops.  But it’s more than I expected, I’ve always considered him to be an east side of Iowa guy, so the stops in southwest Iowa are good. But when is he coming our way, hmmm?
Now how about our Congressman?  Congressman Steve King is a lot harder to nail down from his website,  he does have a nice up front link to help people impacted by the Missouri River flooding. Bu I sure couldn’t find a link to where he’s going to be in his district, …… (a few clicks later) ….. AHA, found it, his office has been busy with news releases during the break! The congressman will be in SPENCER on Tuesday. King to Host Clay County Town Hall Meeting on Tuesday, August 30  Good to know. If you are able to go I’d love to have a question asked.   

No comments:

Post a Comment